I was delighted to photograph the Earthwatch Annual Debate held at the Royal Geographical Society, London. Earthwatch is an international environmental charity which engages people worldwide in scientific field research.
Entitled ‘Mission Critical: The number one environmental challenge for the next 40 years’, this event brought together five expert speakers who tackled the big environmental and social challenges that we face today:
- Tim Lang, Professor of Food Policy at London’s City University put the case for food security.
- Mike Mason, Energy Advisor to the President of the Maldives presented the case for a zero carbon future.
- Jo Royle, environmental campaigner and skipper on board 2010’s Plastiki expedition flew the flag for protection of the oceans.
- Sir Crispin Tickell, academic and environmentalist addressed education and population.
- Daniel Yeo, Water Security and Climate Change Policy Analyst at WaterAid spoke on the subject of water scarcity.
An engaging debate concluded with audience members voting Sir Crispin Tickell as having the strongest argument – with his subject of education and population.
To find out more about Earthwatch, their research expeditions and future events please visit: www.earthwatch.org